Senior Heat Treating Operator
Thermex Metal Treating Ltd. | Senior Heat Treating Operator | $25.00-$30.00/Hour
Thermex offers the widest range of ferrous metal heat treating processes available in Western Canada. Based out of Edmonton Alberta, Thermex strives to provide the best heat treating solutions.
Thermex is looking for an experienced Heat Treating Operator to operate Internal Quench lines and oversees and troubleshoots the operation of the other lines. The position also assists in providing general oversight of the operations during the shift and assists other operators as required. At this level, the Senior Heat Treating Operator assists with development of special procedures, maintenance department responsibilities, ensuring that all pertinent information is passed on to the next shift, and is accountable for after-hours interaction with customers.
The position is accountable for ensuring proper handling, care and processing of customer parts, monitoring work throughout the shop, and ensuring safe and efficient use of the work area and heat treating equipment. Duties will include, but are not limited to:
Safe and efficient operation of assigned lines
- Operate IQ lines, Pit Line and other equipment as required..
- Complete fixturing, parts loading and load planning safely and correctly.
General oversight of operations during the shift
- Assist in overseeing operation of all processing lines. Maintain awareness of production requirements and critical deliveries. Assist with the organization of workflow and schedule orders through various lines accordingly, and ensure jobs are processed correctly and on time.
- Work to assess rush list and schedule and process jobs as per required due dates.
- Support Heat Treat Trainees and Shop Assistants are working where required, and completing tasks safely and efficiently. Provide guidance and support to operators.
- Assist operators on other lines with scheduling, fixturing and load planning.
- Ensure accurate traceability of all loads. Tag loads with customer job number at all stages in the process.
- Conduct correct and accurate processing and testing of parts, and completion of travelers.
- Operate furnace safely and efficiently and conduct out of spec/process troubleshooting on all lines.
- Interpret customer specs and requirements for processing.
- Identify and flag scheduling and delivery issues.
- Prioritize cleaning and packaging in order to maintain delivery commitments.
- Conduct daily check of general equipment operating condition, such as oil levels etc.
- Assist with development of special procedures for handling and/or fixturing unique parts, and developing correct heat treating procedures to meet customer requirements.
- Communicate with staff about production, equipment, staff and other issues.
- Ensure efficient planning to maximize furnace efficiency.
Shift Change Coordination and Communication
- Set up next shift for success. Ensure that all relevant and pertinent information is passed on to next shift.
- Properly communicate status of all in-process jobs to oncoming shift, in writing. Set up schedules for the oncoming shift.
Assist maintenance department as required
- Conduct equipment troubleshooting. Complete daily checking of dew points on the generator(s), and appropriate furnaces as required on each shift. Complete daily calibration check of hardness testers.
- Assist with basic PM on equipment.
- Check the posted maintenance schedules, and ensure complete those tasks assigned to the Heat Treat Operators are completed. Provide assistance in completing maintenance tasks where required.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED OF APPLICANT
- Grade 12 education and minimum of 3-5 years of Heat Treating Operator experience.
- Hands-on experience with and knowledge of hardness testing procedures.
- Technical/vocational education and certification in steel heat treating and steel metallurgy is an asset.
- Completion of, or willingness to attend special courses, meetings, or training offered by technical societies such as ASM (American Society of Materials), MTI (Metal Treating Institute), etc is beneficial.
- Basic understanding of preventative maintenance of equipment.
- Strong communication skills and proficient in spoken and written English language.
- Ability to understand customer requirements and provide superior customer service.
- Demonstrated skill in creating a team environment, and mentor employees, including assisting with training and mentoring of staff.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment fitness assessment.
- Shop environment, working with various machines and heat treating equipment.
- Long periods of standing, noise and high temperatures.
- PPE is required on the shop floor (Ear, Eye and Boot).
- Reliable transportation to and from work location is required.
Only candidates receiving an interview will be contacted.