Heat Treating Operator Trainee
Thermex Metal Treating Ltd. | Heat Treating Operator Trainee | $20.00-$23.00/Hour
Thermex offers the widest range of ferrous metal heat treating processes available in Western Canada. Based out of Edmonton Alberta, Thermex strives to provide the best heat treating solutions.
Are you an organized and accurate individual? Are you looking to learn a role in a shop environment that is challenging and fast paced? Are you able to follow up and follow through with your work requirements? If so, read on!
Thermex is looking to train a Heat Treating Operator. The Operator Trainee, working under the guidance of the Sr Operator/Shift Lead and other operators, will learn the correct methods and practices for heat treating. The position will work within and learn the basic in-house operating procedures for heat treating. The Operator Trainee is also expected to complete the required training to progress to the Jr Operator level to be able to work in other production areas.
The position is accountable for ensuring proper handling, care and processing of customer parts, and ensuring safe and efficient use of the work area and heat treating equipment. Duties will include, but are not limited to:
1. Learn the correct methods and practices for heat treating.
- Safely and correctly operate all equipment as required.
- Learn and participate in proper methods for hardness testing, and for completion of all required travelers and testing requisitions.
- Utilize proper techniques to fixture loads.
- Assist in other areas of the shop as directed.
- Operate forklift and hoist as required.
- Assist with complete safe and correct fixturing and parts loading.
- Learn procedure to monitor the nitrogen system operation and nitrogen level.
- Assist with prioritizing cleaning and packaging to maintain delivery commitments.
- Learn use and operation of cleaning equipment i.e. glass bead booth/cabinets, Pangborn.
2. Perform shop cleaning and equipment maintenance duties as directed by the Sr Operator or Foreman.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED OF APPLICANT
- Grade 12 education.
- Manufacturing or shop environment experience.
- Hands-on experience with and knowledge of hardness testing procedures is an asset.
- Technical/vocational education and certification in steel heat treating and steel metallurgy is an asset.Completion of, or willingness to attend special courses, meetings, or training offered by technical societies such as ASM (American Society of Materials), MTI (Metal Treating Institute), etc is beneficial.
- Basic understanding of preventative maintenance of equipment.
- Strong communication skills and proficient in spoken and written English language.
- Ability to understand customer requirements and provide superior customer service.
- Demonstrated skill in creating a team environment.
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment fitness assessment.
- Shop environment, working with various machines and heat treating equipment.
- Long periods of standing, noise and high temperatures.
- PPE is required on the shop floor (Ear, Eye and Boot).
- Reliable transportation to and from work location is required.
Thermex offers a comprehensive health benefits plan, work boot allowance, and profit sharing program for eligible employees.
Only candidates receiving an interview will be contacted.